POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Light probes maping : Re: Light probes maping Server Time
5 Oct 2024 15:33:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Light probes maping
From: clipka
Date: 1 Apr 2009 13:20:00
Message: <web.49d3a106f4dc8d89f708085d0@news.povray.org>
Alain <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
> - Reflective sphere where the center point is back at you and the perimeter is
> the oposite point.
> - Cross shaped, to be wrapt around a box.
> - Square ment to be maped onto a sphere. Those I have are not good.
>
> The first form seems to be the more common format.

The round ones come in two flavors: The "raw" shot of the reflective sphere; or
(actually more common as it seems) a format that somewhat distorts the sphere
radially, so that all parts of the sky get about the same resolution. The two
may sometimes be hard to tell apart.

> How do you use those? I don't use mega-POV. It's not installed.

There is a software called HDRShop out there (free for noncommercial purposes
IIRC) that allows you to convert between the various formats (and do some other
stuff with HDR shots); for official POV-Ray, you will most likely want to
convert the shots to that rectangular latitude / longitude format, which you
can project onto a sphere or sky_sphere using POV's spherical mapping.